River Welland (16) | Kilburnlad | Fishing | Diary


River Welland (16)

Last trip to the river before the close season. Managed a couple of nice chub and a bonus jack pike.

Arrival time: 10.20
Weather: Overcast, calm and damp.
Hardly a breath of wind.
Swim: The large pool and roaming.
Tackle: 12ft Korum multi-feeder, Shimano bait caster, 8lb line, 6 hook tied direct. Three SG shots on a short link.
Bait: Cheese and luncheon meat.
Fish: Three chub, best fish 4lb 5oz

I didn’t manage to get to the river last week, so this trip was my last before the close season.

I was hoping that I could end the season with a good day and things certainly started well. I catapulted some loose pieces of cheese and luncheon meat before I tackled up. First cast was with luncheon meat and after a minute or so the top twitched and then pulled round. The first fish was on. A brief battle, during which the fish repeatedly tried to get into the dead bankside vegetation to my left, ended with a fine 4lb 5oz chub on the bank. It was only 10.40.

Chub 4lb 5oz

Chub 4lb 5oz

River Welland - 10 March 2015 - Chub 3lb 14oz

Chub 3lb 14oz

River Welland - 10 March 2015 - Pike 2lb 13oz

Pike 2lb 13oz

I recast and at 10.55 another twitch, followed by a drop-back of the line, got me into my second fish. Again it tried for the refuge of the vegetation but I kept it out. This fish was 3lb 14oz. I couldn’t believe my luck.

After this things quietened down. In fact nothing happened. Two good chub out of one swim is probably about as much as one can wish for, so I walked a little way upstream and dropped a piece of luncheon meat under a tree that was overhanging the water from the opposite bank. I had left my gear at the first swim, taking only the rod, landing net and bait. After a short while a twitch, and a pull on the rod top, and I tightened into a fish. I thought it was another chub but it was a different type of fight. All was soon revealed as a small pike could be seen darting to and fro. This isn’t the first time that I’ve taken a small pike on luncheon meat from this river. It weighed 2lb 13oz and it was now 13.15.

After this things really did go dead. I decided to gather up my gear and try roaming some upstream spots. First I tried the large pool beneath the footbridge. I have taken good chub here but it’s a tricky spot to fish, and certainly not very comfortable as you need to sit on rocks on the steeply sloping bank. I explored various parts of the pool and the downstream run-off with luncheon meat but didn’t get a touch.

I then tried a spot above the bridge where I’ve had success previously; but again not a tremor. Walking back towards the footbridge I tried further down the runoff from the bridge pool, but again there was nothing doing.

I returned to the large pool where I had started, hoping some chub may have moved back in, or regained their confidence, but a couple of hours trying both luncheon meat and cheese produced not the slightest indication of a fish. Around 15.00 I decided to roam downstream. The river was low and many spots I have favoured in the past were quite shallow. I tried a few likely deeper areas under trees on the far bank but again drew a complete blank. I met another chap who was roaming with float tackle and he hadn’t had any luck either.

Around 16.00 I went back to my original spot and decided to give it another hour. The fish often become interested again towards the end of the afternoon. But they didn’t, so I packed up just after 17.00.

So, a magnificent start with two lovely chub but a rather disappointing end to the day. One final fish to celebrate my last river trip this season would have been very nice.

This website doesn't make extensive use of cookies but a small number are required for the correct functioning of the site and to collect anonymous analytical data.