River Indrois (2) | Kilburnlad | Fishing | Diary


River Indrois (2)

Fishing in France.

Arrival time: 18.00
Weather: Warm with light breeze.
Swim: River walk at Montrésor
Tackle:12ft Greys’ Rova Float rod, 5lb line, waggler, 14 hook.
Bait: Bread flake and spam.
Fish: None - one carp lost.

I had been reluctant to return to the Indrois after the mauling I received from the mosquitoes the previous time. In fact I started off by visiting a lake at Chemillé. I had checked it out a few days earlier. It was a big lake and part of a holiday complex, with pitches set aside for night carp fishing. I prefer smaller waters and had decided to try the end of the lake by the road bridge, where it narrowed and there were lily pads. Having arrived and set up I found the water was less than 2 feet deep by the pads. I fished for about 45 minutes but wasn’t feeling very positive about my chances. I French chap who arrived at the same time as me had only one small roach out of a side stream.

I decided mosquitoes or not, I would head back to the Indrois at Montrésor to have another crack at the carp.

Being a Friday it was quieter, and I arrived a bit later than last time. On this occasion there were two or three carp nosing around under the lily pads, as I had seem them on my first walk along the river. I nevertheless persevered with bottom fishing but didn’t get a touch. Meanwhile the carp were sauntering around at the surface. It was just after 19.00 and I decided to strip off the shot from the line and cast a piece of crust into the lily pads. After a couple of not so good attempts at this, a piece landed in a small opening of clear water with the line laying across the pads.

A carp came into view and headed for the crust, and much to my surprise took it without hesitation. I tightened and all hell broke loose. I was not too sure I could get the fish out of the pads with the tackle I was using but after a few scary moments the fish was in open water. I played it for a few minutes and brought it towards the net a number of times, but each time it surged off. I was bringing it in one more time, fairly confident that this would be the last run when the hook came away. It was a similar sized fish to the one I caught on the previous visit.

The amount of commotion caused in the lily pads convinced me that I probably wouldn’t get another chance. Also, the mossies were starting to bite again, so I reluctantly decided to call it a day. It would have been nice to have landed a carp on both of my visits to the Indrois, but it wasn’t to be. I headed back to where we were staying somewhat crestfallen.

This website doesn't make extensive use of cookies but a small number are required for the correct functioning of the site and to collect anonymous analytical data.